Monday, December 15, 2014

Mozzarella Lasagna

 Mozzarella Lasagna


One way to still get to enjoy the dishes you love while maintaining your weight is too modify the ingredients. Normally, I use a 8 oz. package of shredded cheddar cheese when I make lasagna. I found out that a 8 oz. bag of  mozzarella, made with part skim milk taste just as good. I also substitute my ricotta to a low fat version and my hamburger to at least 90% lean. My husband and I eat this meal for two days and then I freeze the leftovers. Usually I have 4 meals left over and have these once a week. This allows me to pick and choose healthier meals in between a meal that uses beef which is one of the biggest sources of fat in our diet.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Ingredients

1 pound 90% lean hamburger
1 16 ounce can spaghetti sauce/low sodium
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 teaspoon parley
1 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 pound oven-ready lasagna noodles/ whole wheat
15 ounces low fat ricotta cheese
1 egg
1 pound shredded mozzarella


Directions

In a 10 inch skillet brown the hamburger meat for 10 minutes over medium heat. Meat should not be pink.
Drain almost all the grease, I prefer lasagna to be moist so I keep a tablespoon of grease.
Add the spaghetti sauce and all the spices and simmer for 10 minutes
In a medium size bowl, combine the ricotta and the egg, stir until smooth, set aside
In a pretty 9 by 12 glass baking dish, spread some of the sauce on the bottom of dish
Layer the noodles, and spread the ricotta mixture
Layer more noodles
Add remaining hamburger mixture
Sprinkle the top with the mozzarella
Bake for 45 minutes, or until the cheese has turned to a golden brown in color






No comments: