Thursday, September 18, 2014

Welcome to my blog


Hello, and welcome to my blog, Fabulous Fifties Dining.

This blog is about finding a way to get fitter in your fifties in order to fully enjoy your retirement. The recipes are budget-friendly, and I will talk more about life changes instead of dieting. 

Same old, same old. Every year I tell myself the same old thing. I am not going to gain ten lbs. or more. I am going to the gym. Then life gets in the way. Or I let life get in the way. 

My name is Lucille Clarke and I am 56 years young. I am a student at East Carolina University. Every year since I had children 26 years ago, I have battled losing between 10 lbs to 30 lbs. I have tried every diet known to man. Some were successful temporarily, and some were disasters. Cabbage soup diet? Who was I kidding?! You may be thinking that 10 lbs. is not a big deal, but I am 4'11" and 10 lbs. can look like 30 extra lbs on my small frame. 

Do you ever get on the scales at the mall and debate lying about your frame size? Once I punch in small frame and my weight it ruins my shopping trip. It makes me want to go down to the coffee shop and drown my sorrows in a raspberry mocha hold the skinny and a cookie. 

If I select medium frame, the scales give me a number that gives me wiggle room, and I mean that literally. That number is a lie. This is a bad cycle and I'm tired of it. 

What to do, what to do. Woe is me who can't eat all the high fructose, salt laden, sugar drenched food that everyone else does. What is stopping me? A family history of high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, and feeling sluggish and tired all the time. The biggie for me is that I want to enjoy my retirement years. I have earned the right and it is up to me to make those changes. If you are reading this and you are 20, 30, or 40 go ahead and do something about it now. It doesn't get any easier. 

Don't have much time to exercise read on....
Don't have much money and on a budget read on....
Just tired of being overweight and tired read on.....
It does take some work to do what my husband and I started back in July of this year. The good news is I am down 13 lbs and he is down 21 lbs.









No comments: